Marine Court, St. Leonards-on-Sea

Marine Court, St. Leonards-on-Sea
... along the prom ...

Sunday 24 November 2013

Portrait 'Adrian and Tom, Brighton College of Art, 1970' - Picture of the Week 24 November 2013


Art Students at work in the second floor fine art studio
 
I spent a year at Brighton, finding out that I wasn't a painter. I spent more and more time taking photographs and printing them in the darkrooms there. This is one, a portrait of fellow students at work, doing what I couldn't - putting paint on canvas and knowing what they wanted to represent. At the time I had some of the technique but none of the necessary imagination.
 
This is the sort of portrait photo I like to take. I don't take many formal portraits, I don't find them very interesting to create. I much prefer photographing people doing what they do. Some people call this documentary photography, but I believe a photograph which tells you about what people do, can also tell you who they are and that is portraiture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment